DEADLINE EXTENDED UNTIL THE 25TH JAN 2010!!
The IPY Oslo Science Conference, taking place 8-12 June 2010 in Oslo, Norway, is the major IPY Conference, a brilliant opportunity to show off your polar science whether it's part of an IPY project or not. The IPY Oslo Conference also sets a precedent for the involvement of early career scientists at all levels of the conference and the activities during the event. APECS is coordinating the activities, and of course UKPN members are involved too! Spread the word so that this becomes the highlight of the year!
The submission deadline for abstracts is the 20th January 2010, so get your abstracts in!! To submit, go to this webpage: http://www.ipy-osc.no/section/1257865053.48. There is plenty of support available for early career scientists (reduced registration fees, accommodation, Oslo stipends, travel fellowships), all of it tied to abstract submission. Any question regarding the application process, don't hesitate to contact us!
We would like to use this opportunity to highlight some of the sessions UKPN members are (co-)organising and show you what else there is for early career scientists.
Sessions with UKPN (or UK based APECS) conveners (apologies if I forgot anybody!):
- T2-1 Climate and paleoclimate dynaimcs and processes (Louise Sime, BAS)
- T2-4 Permafrost on a warming planet (Matt Strzelecki, Uni Durham)
- T2-6 Ocean physical and geochemical dynamics and processes (Povl Abrahamsen, BAS)
- T3-8 Ecosystems of the Southern Ocean (Angelika Renner, BAS/UEA)
- T6-3 Adventures in the field: Impact of field programs for students, teachers, artists, writers and others (Allen Pope, SPRI)
- T6-4 Global learning: The impact of the media (Jose Xavier, BAS)
APECS activities during the conference: APECS Professional Development Workshop - workshop with session on publishing your research, communicating science, funding, alternative careers, and more
APECS Reception - speed dating with potential mentors
APECS Lounge - in the middle of everything! THE meeting point of the conference
Awards for outstanding presentations and posters!
Application includes Oslo Stipend, Travel Fellowships and the APECS Professional Development Workshop
- 20 February 2010 Abstract Acceptance Notification Date
- 25 February 2010 Notification of Oslo Stipend Awards
- 1 March 2010 Notification of Acceptance in APECS Workshop
- 5 March 2010 Deadline to Confirm Stipend Acceptance
- 8 March 2010 Stipend Recipients Conference Registration Deadline
So get your abstracts polished and send them in! For more info check http://www.ipy-osc.no and http://www.apecs.is/events/oslo2010
See you in Oslo,